[Battlemesh] FCC Contacts about Wifi Regulations

David Lang david at lang.hm
Sat Aug 6 02:10:23 UTC 2016

On Fri, 5 Aug 2016, Juliusz Chroboczek wrote:

>>> LiPo batteries with JST-PH connectors are available in every toy store,
>>> but I have no idea about LiFePO4.  I suggest you go to your local toy
>>> store (pick one with expensive model planes), and check what's readily
>>> available (as opposed to what needs to be ordered).
>
>> Yes, LiPo can work, in which case a regular USB LiPo battery pack is the
>> simplest solution we would aim for there I think.
>
>> The LiFePO4 specification came from some further requirements that have not
>> been discussed yet, in particular, around safety and longevity of the
>> batteries.
>
> Don't speak to us, speak to the people who build model planes and other
> fancy toys.  They know what they're doing, and their market is very
> sensitive to price.
>
> (And listen to what they have to say.)

Model aircraft have much higher current requirements, and much lower time
requirements for their batteries.

They also don't directly have to worry about rapidly getting a bunch of devices
into a country from a standing start.

so far, only the EU has any policies requirng APs to be locked down, so only the
EU versions of the devices would not be directly flashable with third party
software.

I don't like the idea of special power cords, but I also don't like the idea of
having to have two plugs, one for power and one for the regulatory domain.

I will point out that the regulatory domain does not have to be set. Linux
defaults to the least common denominator of all the regulatory domains by
default. If you use a separate power vs regulatory dongle, you could have no
dongle == worldwide safe and then dongles would only be needed to enable
additional local channels/power.

yes this means you don't get channels 12 and 13 in Japan, but in practice,
channel 11 and 13 are too close together so having 12 and 13 available really
doesn't give you a fourth usable channel.

on 5GHz, the value of country specific settings is FAR more significant, and
there, most places will benefit significantly from local settings. But with
2.4GHz and 900MHz, it may be that it's just not worth bothering.

David Lang