[Battlemesh] mesh protocol for lora

Benjamin Henrion zoobab at gmail.com
Mon Aug 29 12:23:46 UTC 2016

On Mon, Aug 29, 2016 at 12:48 PM, Bastian Bittorf <bb at npl.de> wrote:
> * Kristoff <kristoff at skypro.be> [29.08.2016 09:19]:
>> As I do not want to re-invent the wheel, does anybody know of a
>> mesh-protocol that would be best here:
>> - operate on a low-bitrate network (300 bps)
>> - used in a mostly station setup
>> - available in source-code: the codes currently are linux devices
>> (RPi) but I would like to migrate to microcontrollers (STM32F1)
>>

>> Anybody any ideas?
>
> see the battlemesh results 8-)
> e.g. babel should fit here.

Well, anything IP based is probably a no-go on such low speed interfaces.

You would need to replace the routing table with another mapping
system to find out if you can send a message to another node or not.

Another challenge is power consumption, where the lora nodes wakes up
from sleep, it relies on a base station which is always there. You
could try to avoid that by syncing the clocks on those devices, so
that they all wake up at the same time, but then you need a way to
sync the time on the node (add a battery, have a way to fetch the time
via a lora time server). Note that many lora based networks work only
in send-only mode, not in send+receive mode, which is annoying if you
want something like "my message has been well received".

There are propably some simple mesh implementations for
microcontrollers already out there (there is one in the esp8266 sdk,
but last time I checked it was closed-source).

--
Benjamin Henrion <bhenrion at ffii.org>
FFII Brussels - +32-484-566109 - +32-2-3500762