[Battlemesh] Proposal for battlemesh v10 "testbed"

Juliusz Chroboczek jch at pps.univ-paris-diderot.fr
Wed Dec 14 23:42:09 UTC 2016

> Simon mentioned that he wasn't really personally interested in
> "battling" protocols so much (as in the first few battlemeshes),

This would be the kiss of death for Battlemesh.

Battlemesh is about experimentally comparing the performance of routing
protocols.  If Battlemesh doesn't compare routing protocols, it becomes
yet another community meet-up.  The technical people will no longer come,
the community people, who come to battlemesh because it's a chance to meet
the technical crowd, will go to places that are more interesting, and
Battlemesh will wither away.

(Since recent Battlemeshes have repeatedly shown Batman-"Advanced" to lag
behind the other protocols, I cannot help but suspect that Simon might be
biased against performing experimental work.)

> there are already out there mesh firmwares implementing each routing
> protocol, being maintained every day, and so up to date with kernel,
> openwrt, and routing protocol versions, etc

> why not use those firmwares?

Because comparing firmwares is not going to be interesting for the
technical folks -- if one firmware performs better than another, is it the
routing protocol?  The kernel version?  The AQM?  A configuration bug?

The technical folks will leave, the community people will follow.

-- Juliiusz