[Battlemesh] Chilling effect - Lockdown (FCC/EU)

Benjamin Henrion zoobab at gmail.com
Wed Feb 17 20:21:15 UTC 2016

On 17 Feb 2016 18:56, "Adam Longwill" <adam.longwill at metamesh.org> wrote:

> Yes. Less than 24 hours ago I was given the following information from a
customer service rep from tplink:

> Adam Longwill09:10:01 pm downgrading does not work
> I get an 18005 errror
> upon attempting to downgrade
> I want to know if this is because of the FCC's rules regarding broadcast
strength and DFS control. Has TP-Link complied with these rules and locked
down its firmware and if so, for what models
> I need to know if I am going to continue purchasing devices from you.
>
> Camille09:13:25 pm wait one moment please
> Thanks for your waiting, right now only these products has limitation on
firmware: Archer C7 V2 Archer C1900 V1 Touch P5 V1 Archer C2600 V1 Archer
C3200 V1 Archer C2 V1 Archer C5 V2 Archer C8 V1 Archer C9 V1 TL-WR841N V11
TL-WDR3500 V1 TL-WR940N V3.0 TL-WR1043ND V3.0 TL-WR710N(USA) TL-WR841N V9.0
> and all products will also limite firmware in the future.
>
>    Adam Longwill09:26:19 pm Wow. Thank you. I'm impressed with your
digging
> And this limitation is due to FCC rule clarifications in 2015?
> And not some other reason
>
>  Camille09:28:15 pm Right, due to FCC
>
> Adam Longwill09:28:50 pm Thank you very much. Can you explain why the
WDR3600 appears to be locked down? Is it possible that your list is not
totally updated?
> And do you have a method or avenue that people who wish to use other
firmware have?

> Camille09:34:02 pm Yes, wdr3600 as dual band wifi router, is also locked
down. And there is no other way to use other firmware. Sorry for that

> Adam Longwill09:34:19 pm Thank you very much, Camille. You've been very
helpful

> Sorry for the formatting, I'm on mobile.
>
> I'm very interested in what we, as a community, can do to ensure we can
continue to build our networks.

Any more technical details on how this is done? Just a simple uboot mod or
hardware keys?

We should have hit the FCC harder, they git their way too easily.