[Battlemesh] Chilling effect - Lockdown (FCC/EU)

Linus Lüssing linus.luessing at c0d3.blue
Thu Feb 18 01:30:56 UTC 2016

Hi Monic,

A friend of mine here at Freifunk Lübeck had queried the TP-Link
support for any planed lockdowns back in October last year here.
He got the following reply:

-----
Sehr geehrter Kunde,
Dies ist vorerst unser Statement unserer R&D:
[translation: Dear customer, this is our preliminary statement from our R&D:]

"We never try to 'lock' or do some limitations to forbid the customer to=20
upgrade their router with third-party firmware."

Ich hoffe das hilft Ihnen weiter :-)
[trans.: I hope this helps :-)]
-----

Now, last week another friend told me about his struggle with a TP-Link TD-8980:
That device only allowed him to flash firmwares *signed by TP-Link* through the
web interface.

U-boot was not affected, so he could nevertheless reflash it after opening the
device, attaching a serial console, halting the boot process over the serial line
and flashing it from there.

According to the OpenWRT wiki, signed updates were introduced with a TP-Link update
recently, so initial versions of this router were unaffected:

https://wiki.openwrt.org/toh/tp-link/td-w8980

So to me it looks like developers at the vendors are probably on our
side, but maybe the management might have decided otherwise. That would
probably seems to match the experience with management Felix has had and which
he had described at his talk at the last Chaos Communication Congress.

I am still hoping that I might have totally misunderstood someone. Or that
it is just a bad dream.

Cheers, Linus