[Battlemesh] Open Router Alternatives (Was: Chilling effect - Lockdown (FCC/EU))

Linus Lüssing linus.luessing at c0d3.blue
Thu Feb 18 10:43:00 UTC 2016

On Thu, Feb 18, 2016 at 10:44:34AM +0100, Bastian Bittorf wrote:
> generally speaking we need an OpenHardware design
> for indoor 2.4/5GHz and outdoor 2.4 and outdoor 5GHz
> with "standard" antenna connectors (RP-SMA/N)

Was posted on the Freifunk WLANware mailinglist some months ago,
a promising crowd-funded, open router:

https://omnia.turris.cz/en/

> so first there is an design needed and so we need
> to crowdfound the developement of the open design
> and the approval (FCC and EU).

For the Omnia Turris, no FCC/ETSI approval needed: The board
itself has no radios but miniPCIe slots instead :).

Unfortunately, they are more expensive of course... with two
miniPCIe radio cards and a case they would cost about 150 USD.

So "economically speaking", you can build maybe only five
to seven times smaller community mesh networks as compared to
~20 USD routers.