[Battlemesh] Chilling effect - Lockdown (FCC/EU)

Bastian Bittorf bittorf at bluebottle.com
Thu Feb 18 11:22:55 UTC 2016

* fboehm <fboehm at aon.at> [18.02.2016 12:09]:
> You anyway loose the initial FCC or ETSI certification when you
> modify the radio driver. A re-certification would be necessary.
> Pragmatic solution from the FCC: firmware lock, period :)

ok, unsure about that. does it mean if a vendor
changes code in the wireless driver the whole thing
has to be re-certificated? I dont think so. Are there
other people know something about that?

> It's also not necessary to design a new board. Plenty of PCIe radios
> and suitable boards are available. Manufacturers will have an
> incentive to produce them as long as there are enough users/buyers.

the community is just to small: <100.000 boards a month 8-)

> As an alternative: there are finished MT7621 router designs that you
> can modify towards a PCIe ath9k radio instead of Mediatek radio. But

there is no need for replacing the mt76 thingy, the driver
is good enough even now and is getting better and better...

> the radio should be a module and not an embedded radio. Otherwise you
> have to deal with radio calibration stuff. Such a board would not
> even be considered a wireless router when you buy the wireless card
> separately.

are there good miniPCI/miniPCIexpress cards available?
(not hirose/UFL connectors but mmcx)

bye, bastian