[Battlemesh] [bufferbloat-fcc-discuss] Action: fixing *WRT and the FCC

David Lang david at lang.hm
Fri Feb 19 09:11:41 UTC 2016

On Thu, 18 Feb 2016, Mitar wrote:

> Hi!
>
> I think this is an example of what happens because Linux is not licensed
> GPLv3. Tivoization was first, and we said we do not care about that. And
> Linux stayed GPLv2.
>
> If it was GPLv3, then manufacturers would have to think a bit more how
> to address this and maybe work with the community to address the issue.

I really doubt that. There is enough code out there that is GPLv3 that I doubt
that they are completely avoiding every bit of it in their images.

But in the case of the kernel itself, there are enough people who disagree with
the GPLv3 and the actions and statements that the FSF has made around it that
it's never going to change.

David Lang