[Battlemesh] Atheros chips

Juliusz Chroboczek jch at pps.univ-paris-diderot.fr
Fri Feb 26 08:13:45 UTC 2016

> The A7 is a newer design (despite the number - the A8 is the oldest in
> the Cortex-A family, and the A9 is the second oldest)

Ah, I see.  I was mixing up the A7 with the A8.

> When you can target a single core type, the difference between in-order
> and OoO is much less important than on the desktop

Not sure I believe that, given memory latencies, but then if the memory
subsystem is better, perhaps it compensates.  (Routing in software is not
a cache-friendly endeavour.)

> The cheapest ARM core available is the Cortex-M0 [which is] less than
> half the transistor count of the smallest 68K core

Still 20 times larger than a PDP-8 ;-)

Thanks for the info, Jonathan.  With the FCC lockdown, we're going to have
to learn all that stuff (and more) if we want hackable hardware.

-- Juliusz