[Battlemesh] Android wifi meshing

Juliusz Chroboczek jch at pps.univ-paris-diderot.fr
Fri Feb 26 20:55:18 UTC 2016

> I was trying to get people's opinions on whether there is a robust and
> reasonable current thread of work on bringing mesh networking onto the
> Android platform.

Android deliberately doesn't support ad-hoc (IBSS) mode:

    https://code.google.com/p/android/issues/detail?id=82

and enabling the functionality requires fairly extensive surgery to the
system, more than even a fairly technical user is willing to do.  So
there's little motivation to do that.

For what it's worth, Android runs a reasonable Linux kernel, so it's easy
to port most layer 3 routing deamons to it; porting babeld took some 20
minutes, and I'm pretty sure olsrd wouldn't be much more complicated.
While it would be easy to package babeld into an installable "app",
there's little point in doing that until the ad-hoc issue is fixed.

Yeah, that sucks.

-- Juliusz