[Battlemesh] Could Facebook's OpenCellular be used in open mesh networks?

fboehm fboehm at aon.at
Sun Jul 10 15:14:45 UTC 2016

Am 10.07.16 um 07:39 schrieb Yeoh Chun-Yeow:
> If it is a version of OpenBTS using software define radio for PHY and
> MAC, we need to see how the hardware can cope with the time critical
> function of 802.11. As far as I know, without DSP and mainly all done
> in CPU, don't think that current hardware can cope with the processing
> requirements.
>
> ---
> Chun-Yeow

I don't see a big difference between OpenCelluar and other SDR projects
out there. Even not regarding the maturity level because also Facebook
only does 2G at this level.

That doesn't mean it's not going to be successful. It might finally be
the one SDR project that is successful. Due to the sole fact that a
popular and financially powerful company like Facebook is doing it.

Success in this respect means that SDR finally hits the market how it
was predicted about 10 years ago. Where basically all wireless
communication is based on SDR. Very much like it happened decades ago
with generic CPU architectures plus customized software on top of it.

I'm looking forward to see this happening because it can boost the whole
wireless industry. Although governmental regulations in this field is
providing a big problem and preventing innovation. As an example we just
saw the FCC lock-down happening.

I think SDR can be incredibly successful if spectrum and
spectrum-sharing is managed completely different from a regulatory
perspective. Try to ask the incumbent operators if they like the idea of
sharing spectrum :)

Franz