[Battlemesh] Multi-path over wireless

Baptiste Jonglez baptiste at bitsofnetworks.org
Fri Jun 17 08:38:23 UTC 2016

Hi Mitar,

On Sat, Jun 11, 2016 at 04:54:19PM -0700, Mitar wrote:
> Hi!
>
> I am thinking that I would like to try if there is better performance if
> instead of one 80 MHz wide WiFi point-to-point channel I would use 2
> radios with 40 MHz wide channels. The idea is that throughput would be
> the same, but because channels are narrower, there will be less noise
> and less packet loss.

What problem are you trying to solve exactly?

In my experience with Ubiquiti hardware, when you put 2 radios close
together, they tend to interfere even if they are on really disjoint
channels.  So it will probably be worse than using a single, larger
channel.

More generally, doing multipath on a radio network is difficult, because
1) it's very hard to control intra-path interferences, and
2) as you said, the performance of each path is very variable anyway.

If you are interested, these people are using Multipath TCP (in a rather
complex setup with source routing) to load-balance between multiple
gateways in a community network:

    Binder: a system to aggregate multiple internet gateways in community networks
    http://homepages.inf.ed.ac.uk/mmarina/papers/lcdnet13.pdf

Baptiste