[Battlemesh] modifying linux wifi kernel-modules for ham-radio use

Kristoff kristoff at skypro.be
Fri Mar 4 08:09:39 UTC 2016

Hi all,

As mentioned in my other message, I am interested in using mesh-networks
for ham-radio use. One of the things I am interested in is modifying
linux-kernels for that end.

Sofar, I goes certain atheros wifi dongles to operate on 2.3 Ghz.
Another project is to modify the linux-kernel for mt7610u (as found
here: https://github.com/coolshou/mt7610u) to operate on the complete 6
cm ham-band (5.65 - 5.85 Ghz).

The goal is to get this on (e.g.) a raspberry pi and to use this as
mesh-node.
Is there somebody here doing simular things?

The changes in the mt7610-code are far from  stable but the kernel-code
is very complex.

I have talked about this with one of the people of the Belgian national
radio society, especially about releasing source-code to enabled people
-even without a ham-licence- to operate on ham-radio only spectrum might
be a delicate thing.
One of the ideas would be to create a linux-kernel dedicated for
ham-radio: only ham-radio frequencies, only ad-hoc mode and remove all
possibilities of encryption.

So if somebody is also working on this, I would really be interested to
discuss this.
(I hope this is the correct forum for this?)

Cheerio!
Kristoff (ON1ARF)