[Battlemesh] What hardware still works?

fboehm fboehm at aon.at
Mon Mar 7 14:22:09 UTC 2016

Am 07.03.2016 um 14:24 schrieb Daniel Golle:
> Apart from that, I'm not sure if modularization will truly solve the
> problem as it would still require that devices are assembled by
> end-users (and not re-sold as a whole) as well as suitable hardware
> components (especially SoftMAC WiFi mPCIe modules) being available...

I think that's the crux of the matter. I for example believe that
modularization can solve some major problems.

I don't know exactly how much more expensive a Mediatek MT76 based
router would be with MiniPCI Express slots. Because it already has
separated radio chips and PCIe traces on the board. I heard twice to
three times. I honestly have difficulties to believe it.

Of course it looks like a regression to move away from monolithic SoCs.
But just the capability to select radios for specific use-case is worth
some extra dollars.

Because there is not just one type of Atheros PCI-Express module out
there. You can pick from low-cost (bad range) to high-end (best range).
Starting as low as $5 for surplus equipment.

Franz