[Battlemesh] [info] [your-subject]

Monic Meisel monic at monic.de
Sun Mar 20 15:24:02 UTC 2016

Dear Hugo,

there has been networks in Denmark … e.g. in Kopenhagen and Djurslands.net. Unfortunately I lost touch with them, maybe Jürgen (in CC) still have? I also forward your Mail to battlemesh Mailinglist to get in touch with communities from other countries as well :)

1) Every Country has different laws or legal constellations which makes it easier or harder to build wireless community networks. In Germany we are fighting against third party liability in open networks, but to my knowledge is it the only EU country, which has this … we fixed it with VPN Tunnels to foreign countries. But we are hopeful to tackle that down soon, at least it is against EU law … keep fingers crossed!!

2) There are different models … freifunk has a decentralized structure with local associations and groups. http://community.freifunk.net/
All is volunteers work and donations as well as cooperation with some ISPs. Important for us is to not commercialize it in a capitalistic way

Some free network activists have foundations others have cooperatives or associations .. But there are some definitions we all follow:
Pico Peering Agreement http://www.picopeer.net/

Plus:
Free networks definition http://freenetworks.org
Community Wireless Definition http://wiki.freifunk.net/WirelessCommons#Deutsch

Freifunkas are also agreeing that we don’t save users data and as less data as possible:
Fernmeldegeheimnis (GG Art. 10,1) http://www.gesetze-im-internet.de/gg/art_10.html
Prinzip der Datensparsamkeit und Datenvermeidung (BDSG § 3a http://www.gesetze-im-internet.de/bdsg_1990/__3a.html)
Wir speichern nicht! http://www.wirspeichernnicht.de/

Also we have some social agreements that we follow:
Die Hackerethik des Chaos Computer Clubs (CCC) ist auf freie Netze übertragbar. http://www.ccc.de/de/hackerethik
Die Unvereinbarkeitserklärung des CCC “Farbe bekennen gegen rechts” http://www.ccc.de/de/updates/2005/unvereinbarkeitserklaerung , v.a. der Abschnitt “Die Erklärung”

3) you mean powered? via Powerover Ethernet, some people are experimenting with wind and solar … and with batteries?

4) Yes we are interconnected in all possible ways … besides socially ;) we are using (Intercity) Tunnels.

Best Monic