[Battlemesh] No results again

Benjamin Henrion zoobab at gmail.com
Mon May 9 15:08:59 UTC 2016

On Mon, May 9, 2016 at 1:34 PM, fboehm <fboehm at aon.at> wrote:
> Am 09.05.2016 um 09:36 schrieb Benjamin Henrion:
>>
>> I have long time advocated for a permanent outdoor testbed somewhere,
>> where people could run their scenarios.
>

> What are the MINIMUM requirements for a permanent outdoor test
> infrastructure? I might have an opportunity to start one. I thought there's
> already something like this in place at some university.
>
> * How many nodes?

10 nodes seems to be a mimimum.

> * Which radios per node? ath9k, ath10k, 2.4GHz, 5GHz

Something atheros based, if you cannot have 2.4Ghz/5Ghz on the same
device, bridge 2 APs with an ethernet cable.

> * What antenna types? Omni, sector, directional?

Mesh would use small omnis to start with.

> * What node distance/density?

That would depends on the hardware and the antenna combination.

At 1dbm on the old fonera, we could do 300m links in Line-of-sight
without any problem.

> I'm asking this details because I'm a typical hardware/electronics guy with
> hands on experience installing outdoor equipment. So my focus would be
> things like power supply, weather conditions, out-of-band remote management,

Nodes can be on batteries powered off all the time, except when
someone wants to make a test tun. I made an ESP8266 (2.4Ghz wifi
still) that wakes up from sleep every 10 minutes, and wakes up a GPIO
to power a router if there is an AP with a specific ESSID available. I
still to investigate other 433Mhz or 868Mhz chips that could do the
same.

> The environment would be a rather RF silent rural area. Distances of tens to
> hundreds of meters between nodes possible.

Yes, a place in a field of similar, where there is no 2.4GHz pollution around.

--
Benjamin Henrion <bhenrion at ffii.org>
FFII Brussels - +32-484-566109 - +32-2-3500762