[Battlemesh] FCC lockdown video american remote speaker

Benjamin Henrion zoobab at gmail.com
Tue May 10 19:16:20 UTC 2016

On Tue, May 10, 2016 at 3:49 PM, leonardo <mail at leonardo.ma> wrote:
> On Tue, 2016-05-10 at 13:01 +0200, Simon Wunderlich wrote:
>> Hi Benjamin,
>>
>> yes, that was Will Lumpkins. We have invited him to join remotely,
>> which was a
>> great thing to do. I'll investigate more based on his pointers.
>>
>> One interesting article I found, dated to 2013 was that one:
>>
>> http://www.erodocdb.dk/Docs/doc98/official/pdf/ECCREP192.PDF
>>

> This document seems to be advocating exactly for what happened later
> on:
>
> "In those interference cases where the DFS mechanism in the WAS/RLAN
> equipment is disabled, or where the equipment could be configured to a
> country where different or no DFS requirements apply, market
> enforcement shall not allow such equipment to be operated or remain in
> use..."
> " Market enforcement and surveillance authorities are also advised to
> initiate appropriate actions to prevent further that such equipment is
> placed on the market."

I tend to agree with William Lumpkins, lobbying for an exception for
Free Software firmwares, or for an exception of consumer devices won't
really work, because they are the main target of the legislation.

It is also sad to see this DFS issue generating such a lockdown,
especially on 2.4Ghz only devices, it would even be better to ban wifi
transmission in those bands (5.60 to 5.65Ghz), that would be easier
then trying to implement DFS detection that seems to even be
defficient in some cases.

BTW, I had a colleague who was working for a WISP, who got the airport
police because they installed some APs on some roof with 5ghz without
DFS, perturbing the weather radar of the airport.

--
Benjamin Henrion <bhenrion at ffii.org>
FFII Brussels - +32-484-566109 - +32-2-3500762