[Battlemesh] Linksys promises not to block free firmware

Mitar mitar at tnode.com
Fri May 13 20:01:52 UTC 2016

Hi!

> This is a HUGE step back compared to the freedom mac80211-based drivers
> on top of SoftMAC designs (such as ath9k or mt76) provide to
> independent researches and developers, community mesh networks and
> practically everyone in a couple of years from now when the official
> product life-time of the chip has ended and thus the vendor is likely
> to no longer update the wifi chip's firmware for features not yet
> invented or implemented at the time of its making.

But do we have a proposed design how to vendors should use softmac,
allow ath9k, but at the same time satisfy FCC requirements? So maybe we
should come up with a solution which we know it could work and then try
to push for it? So do we as a community have a solution?

Mitar

--
http://mitar.tnode.com/
https://twitter.com/mitar_m