[Battlemesh] Linksys promises not to block free firmware

David Lang david at lang.hm
Fri May 13 21:49:39 UTC 2016

On Fri, 13 May 2016, Mitar wrote:

> Hi!
>
>> What FCC requirements are you talking about here?
>>
>> The FCC proposed requirements that specifically talked about preventing
>> people from loading DD-WRT, but has since backed off and said they don't
>> intend to do that.
>>
>> Everything else can (and is on SoftMAC designs) be handled in the OS
>> drivers.
>
> We can try to pick words here and try to be smart, but it is pretty easy
> what a requirement is: users should not be able to transmit while radar
> is in operation. So, what is our answer how to prevent that while still
> allowing custom firmware?

We already have radar detection in the SoftMAC systems.

If you want to guarantee that no firmware by anyone ever will disable that
detection inappropriately, the answer is that you can't. All you can do is not
use that frequency band, even in the places where it's perfectly legal.

Keep in mind, there are only ~50 radars in the US that are the type that this
interferes with, and you need to be close to the airport to be any problem.

are you looking for a technical solution to a technical problem? or trying to
find a technical solution for a fear?

David Lang