[Battlemesh] flent tests run?

Toke Høiland-Jørgensen toke at toke.dk
Mon May 9 15:48:34 CEST 2016

Daniel Golle <daniel at makrotopia.org> writes:

> I also volunteered to run some flent tests on OLSR, however, I wasn't
> aware that this volunteer position ("We need a laptop for the far end
> of some tests!", me: "Sure, we can use mine.") would require me to
> understand and *select* the tests to run with flent, a graphical tool
> I have never used before and didn't perceive to be very stable (it
> crashed a lot, depending on the test chosen).

Do you happen to recall in which situations it crashed? And how were you
using it (did you run the tests from the GUI, for instance)? Happy to
look into your issues and fix any bugs.

(I'm the author of Flent if that wasn't clear :))

> Having an overlay for each protocol also has the layer 8+ advantage of
> the protocol teams really feeling responsible for 'their' overlay and
> testing to start once one of them is ready.

Didn't participate this year, obviously, but my impression from last
year was that the issue with wibed was not so much whether or not it
worked well (all software has bugs; see above). But rather that using it
(or maybe it was just the way it was used) meant that it became a
centralised single point of failure. This causes exactly the dynamic
you're describing with a single overlay: Lack of ownership and a feeling
of being unable to deal with problems. Which does tend to make people go
'meh' rather than digging in and trying to fix things.

So I agree that the issues are most probably on layers 8 and above ;)

-Toke