[Battlemesh] Fwd: [WLANware] [gluon] [ANNOUNCE] Gluon v2016.2.6 and v2017.1

Matthias Schiffer mschiffer at universe-factory.net
Sat Jun 10 22:48:23 UTC 2017

On 06/10/2017 11:33 PM, willi uebelherr wrote:

> Dear friends, for your information.
>
> Gluon is a freifunk-firmware in the german language space, and maybe around.
>
> Freifunk Firmware Gluon
> https://wiki.freifunk.net/Freifunk_Firmware_Gluon
>
> This is a german language site. The english i don't find. And why they
> don't use also the Babel routing protocol, i don't understand.
>
> Babel — a loop-avoiding distance-vector routing protocol - Irif
> https://www.irif.fr/~jch/software/babel/
>
> many greetings, willi

Hi,

https://github.com/freifunk-gluon/gluon is the main repo, documentation can
be found at http://gluon.readthedocs.io/ (I must admit though that we're
missing a nice explanation of exactly what Gluon is.) I wouldn't call Gluon
a "Freifunk firmware", but rather a "firmware framework", as there are no
official binaries or default configuration, but only a modular framework
that makes it very easy to build a community-specific mesh firmware.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FTNseX0F6zs is the recording of Linus' and
my talk about Gluon at the WBMv10 (I haven't had a look at the recording
myself, but I was told it has A/V sync issues - I assume the official
recordings on media.ccc.de will have better quality as soon as they're
finished.)

As explained in the talk, Gluon only supports batman-adv at the moment (as
it came into being by modularizing a batman-adv-based mesh firmware), but
Babel support is being worked on (and other L3 mesh protocols like OLSR2
and BMX7 will be the next step after that).

Kind regards,
Matthias / NeoRaider