[Battlemesh] Social engagement in community networks /motivation

Ben West ben at gowasabi.net
Wed Jun 14 20:17:24 UTC 2017

Howdy all.

I didn't have opportunity to participate in recent battlemeshes, but I did
want to toss in more fodder on this topic, particular the
use-of-mesh-in-emergencies case highlighted on Jenny's etherpad by Mark of
People's Open Network Oakland:
"Just getting something in place that would be resilient is a motivation...
working on a low bandwidth solar-powered emergency comms network"

I went through a could iterations on this topic for the wifi mesh project
WasabiNet that my co-conspirator and I started here in St. Louis, USA.  We
also encountered sporadic community interest about viability of
battery/solar rooftop mesh wifi rigs, and their potential usefulness during
natural disasters / weather events, where typical utilities (power, water,
internet) were unavailable.

We documented the proposals and ideas from these iterations here, in case
this helps others leapfrog:
http://gowasabi.net/content/sunflower-mesh
http://gowasabi.net/content/wasabi-peas-proposal (refinement of the first,
to be more portable)

On Wed, Jun 14, 2017 at 12:45 PM, Nicolas Pace <nico at libre.ws> wrote:

> On Thu, 2017-06-08 at 22:49 +0200, Lyudmila Vaseva wrote:
> > here is the link to the motivation paper I wrote last year on basis
> > of
> > the interviews with people from the Freifunk community (: I've
> > meanwhile
> > promised at least 2 people to send it over, I hope the rest is not
> > molested (:
> >
> > https://github.com/lusy/motFossFf-paper
>
> Thanks Lyudmila, very valuable information there!

Ben West
ben at gowasabi.net