[Battlemesh] WBMv11 Rcon Report

Filipe Borges Teixeira filipebteixeira at gmail.com
Mon Jan 8 15:55:43 UTC 2018

Hi all,

As mentors of the WBMv11 edition, Claudio, Filipe, and Paul have traveled
to Berlin in Germany from December 1-3, 2017 for the traditional
reconnaissance mission, where we met the local team. This is the recon
report with the main conclusions.

* Main event description *
As there is a big intersection of participants between the Wireless
Battlemesh and Wireless Community Weekend, the idea for this year's edition
is to join the forces and co-locate the two events, organizing them under a
common umbrella, the "Wireless Mesh-Up". We have been working with the
local team to create a rough schedule and see the best way to combine the
characteristics of the two events.

* Scheduling *
Since we have put the two events together and keeping the same one-week WBM
structure, we precede the Wireless Community weekend, which was already
scheduled for 11th to 13th of May. Therefore the WBMv11 edition, together
with WCW 2018 will happen from 7-13 May 2018.

* Location *
Since the WBMv11 will be co-located with WCW 2018, we will keep the c-base
space station, Berlin, Terra as the event location. We have visited the
space station to check if space was enough to fit in the targeted 100
people peak. Although space can be a little short on peak times, we believe
there should be enough space during the week: we are free to use the main
room, the Ceminarroom, the outdoor garden and other small spaces at ground
level and at the lower level. Beverages are available on site and Barbeque
will happen from Friday to Sunday. During the week there will be different
food options, whether on-site or nearby. We have confirmed the sponsorship
from Förderverein freie Netzwerke e.V. that covers the room costs so far.

* Internet Access *
c-base is a fundamental node of Berlin's Freifunk network, so we expect no
issues here.

* Accommodation *
Two different facilities were visited: hotel meininger at ostbahnhof and
City-Stay hostel. They offer triple rooms and 4-bed dorms at affordable
prices. Both locations were close to c-base by public transports. An
accommodation package is under negotiation and should remain under 200 EUR.

* Social Events *
Social events are planned to happen from Wednesday - Friday. We have
discussed some ideas, but the local team will provide more details closer
to the event.

* Travel *
Berlin is very well connected with flights, from low-cost companies to
legacy ones in two international airports: Tegel Airport (TXL) and
Schönefeld Airport (SXF). Public transport (train) is available between
airports and city center.

* Cost estimation *
We estimate the accommodation package to cost around 150-200 euros. There
is no registration fee.

*Local organization*
The local core team consists of Monic Meisel, with helping hands of Andi,
Cven, and others from Freifunk community The local team was very helpful
and motivated, with a lot of logistic details taken care already.

Recon photos available on
http://downloads.battlemesh.org/WBMv11/recon_mission

Further details will be given during the official announcement that will
happen within some weeks. Stay tuned!

Mesh Is In The Air!

On behalf of the recon team and local organizers of WBMv11,
Wishing you a happy new year,
Filipe Borges Teixeira