[Battlemesh] massive moving from github to gitlab?

guifipedro guifipedro at gmail.com
Tue Jun 5 08:16:12 UTC 2018

Hi,

I thought was good idea to spread here the message so more communities
can think about it.

Github was adquired by Microsoft, problems:

- Copyright related stuff [1]
- More aggressive DMCA? [2] => if this is not an isolated case, that's
going to be bad doing reverse engineering in github repos
- The known lack of trust to Microsoft products, philosophy, strategy.
Is Microsoft going to "Open source", or is trying to be destroy it
from inside?

It's just few clicks [3] to migrate

[1]

https://www.fsf.org/blogs/licensing/do-githubs-updated-terms-of-service-conflict-with-copyleft
https://www.mirbsd.org/permalinks/wlog-10_e20170301-tg.htm
http://joeyh.name/blog/entry/removing_everything_from_github/
http://joeyh.name/blog/entry/what_I_would_ask_my_lawyers_about_the_new_Github_TOS/

[2]

Sadly, if they insist on this, it will only be trouble for opensource
applications.
Ardour, Qtractor, Carla, MusE, LMMS and others all use this vestige
header... making it "illegal" would mean our beloved tools will simply
drop VST support.

https://lists.linuxaudio.org/archives/linux-audio-dev/2018-June/037131.html

[3] https://docs.gitlab.com/ce/user/project/import/github.html from
https://about.gitlab.com/2018/06/03/movingtogitlab/