[Battlemesh] GIS WATCH 2018

Leonardo Maccari mail at leonardo.ma
Wed Mar 21 11:11:44 UTC 2018

Hi all,

The association for Progressive Communications (one of the eldest
associations in the field of digital rights) yearly publishes the Global
Information Society Watch (GISWatch), a CC book that reports the global
state of Internet-related freedom/rights in many countries.
It is a very important publication with global visibility:
http://www.giswatch.org/

This year GIS Watch is all about community networks (at large), and each
chapter should be dedicated to a country, describing the activity of
community networks there.

I know from the organizers that  they received few applications from
Europe, which is a shame, as we have many networks around!

The effort is limited (4-5 pages) and you get 700$ compensation for the
work, which is fair enough.

What you have to do if you want to participate is to send half-page
chapter proposal, and if your chapter will be chosen for publication,
they will contact you.

Please take this chance, as I think we should give visibility to the
efforts we do! (I and Claudio already applied to describe ninux).

See you soon,
Leonardo.

PS below, the call copypasted, and PDF attached with full description.

*/
/*
*/[APOLOGIES FOR THE CROSS-POSTING]/*

I hope this message finds you all well.  As you might have seen, we have
started the GISW 2018 process with the call for proposal for country
chapters. This year, GISW will focus on community networks.

We have extended the deadline to Monday, March 26. I would like to
invite you to consider responding to this call. We believe GISW 2018
will substantively contribute to shed some light to better understood
and support bottom-up locally owned/managed networks.

Please find the call below and a document attached with more details for
developing the proposals for GISW 2018.

Best regards,

Kathleen
=================

The Association of Progressive Communications would cordially invite you
to */submit a short 1 page country level proposal/* for the 2018 Global
Information Society Watch (GISWatch). *Read the attachment for more
detailed information.*

The GISWatch is like a “rough-guide” to the information society from a
civil society perspective – but one written by those living in the
country they are talking about, and who get to see the impact of
technology on their lives and in their countries first-hand.

GISWatch is a tool and a process for the collaborative monitoring of the
implementation of national and international commitments made by
governments towards the creation of an inclusive, open and sustainable
information society.  For a look at the previous 11 GIS Watch editions,
please see www.giswatch.org <http://www.giswatch.org/>.

If you have an innovative experience to share and the wealth of
knowledge you could bring towards the *2018 theme of Community Networks,
*we ask you to submit a short proposal*. *The short 1 page proposal
submission would describe your idea for a 2300 word book chapter on the
innovative experiences of a Community Network and the country context
which has enabled this Community Network.

Specifically, the 1 page proposal criteria includes:

  * name, organisation, country
  * brief information on Community Network solution
  * duration of Community Network operations
  * half a page about the experience or innovation within a Community
    Network you plan to describe in the book chapter and your
    involvement with this Community Network.

Please make note of the short deadline.  Submissions must be sent to GIS
Watch coordinator, Ms Kathleen Diga (kathleen at apc.org
<mailto:kathleen at apc.org>) by* MARCH 26, 2018. *

We look forward to your response and thank you in advance for your
consideration.

Regards,