[Battlemesh] Call for Participation: State of Our Networks 2018, July 13-18 in Toronto

dc dc at dcwalker.ca
Tue Mar 27 21:15:49 UTC 2018

Wanted to forward a CFP for the second year of Our Networks in Toronto!

---

State of Our Networks 2018 Beyond DIY: Do It With Others
July 13 -18, 2018
Toronto, ON
https://ournetworks.ca/

Our theme this year focuses on how we Do It With Others (DIWO) as
opposed to just ourselves. We have seen a growing number of
peer-to-peer, inclusive, and privacy-respecting projects mobilizing
against setbacks to resilient, accessible, equitable communications in
2017. Yet many open questions remain. In the face of threats to the open
internet, which tools and tactics will help us recognize the
opportunities and challenges of this moment? What kinds of creative and
critical engagement with technology practices can enable meaningful
change when we do it with others?

We are inviting proposals for talks, workshops, discussions,
demonstrations and interventions to explore these questions. Topics
could include, but in no way are limited to:

- decentralization is not enough
- making equitable network infrastructures
- rebuilding or repairing existing infrastructure
- being/becoming network neighbours
- skill- and capacity- building for maintaining alternative networks

Deadline for proposals is April 27, 2018, check out our full call for
participation for submission instructions: https://ournetworks.ca/cfp

Not sure? Ask us!

We are hosting two open hour calls for people to ask questions about
potential topics and the conference itself: Saturday March 24 at
12:00-1:00 pm ET, and Tuesday April 17 at 8:00-9:00 pm ET. No prior
registration needed, just visit: https://appear.in/ournetworks