[Battlemesh] IGF 2018 WS #279 Scaling community networks

Paul Fuxjaeger paul.fuxjaeger at gmx.at
Sat Nov 17 12:15:57 UTC 2018

Thanks for the initiative, I also think that this topic deserves some
attention here.

At funkfeuer, we also have been approached by crypto-economic projects
such as ammbr. We respectfully declined because of a contradiction we
see with trustless protocols in the context of a *LOCAL* community:

If the proof-of-(whatever) is not derived from a *LOCAL* structure of
trust (i.e. the people owning the nodes in places they inhabit) it would
essentially be a "trustless local community infrastructure".

And that sounds to our ears like "hot ice cream" - it just doesn't seem
to make sense.

BUT:

I remember many open and fruitful discussions about distributed
ledgers during battlemesh events. In a sense, the mesh networking
community was working with "distributed ledgers" loooong before they
became cool, we call them "distributed routing protocols based on local
trust". The idea of adding a token scheme on top was not discussed very
often to my knowledge - so it seems like we just don't care.

SO:

Based on that view, I think that the narrative of community networks is
*NOT* really endangered by association with cryptoeconomic projects.
Most of these probably will probalby fade away as quickly as the ICO/VC
money came in - failing to produce that tasty hot ice cream.

cheers
-paul

PS: those rumors about our revolutionary funkfeuer tokens being hacked
are completely unsubstantial, if you claim otherwise I'll meet you in
court :D