[Ninux-Calabria] Fwd: [Ninux-Wireless] [blog] GSoC 2011: Videochat for Diaspora*

luigi gigismir at gmail.com
Wed Sep 21 03:26:23 UTC 2011

-------- Messaggio originale --------
Oggetto: [Ninux-Wireless] [blog] GSoC 2011: Videochat for Diaspora*
Data: Tue, 30 Aug 2011 19:37:08 +0000
Mittente: lasek <tuscolomesh a gmail.com>
Rispondi-a: lasek <lasek88 a gmail.com>, wireless a ml.ninux.org
A: lasek88 a gmail.com

Nuovo post sul blog (Ninux.org Wireless Community):

'GSoC 2011: Videochat for Diaspora*' di lasek

I'm writing about the results achieved with my Google Summer of Code project,
for the Ninux community, under the umbrella of Freifunk (I thank them both for
the opportunity they gave me).

Briefly it consisted in developing a video chat feature for Diaspora*, a
distributed social network.

This project has received a very big feedback and appreciations from the entire
Diaspora community, including the core team, who helped and supported me during
the development.

Basically, it provides two new functionalities to the Diaspora engine:

	Textual chat, based on XMPP signaling protocol
	Video chat, using Jingle XEP

Both have been developed in Javascript, with some Rails code. It uses
Strophe.js library for the textual chat, based on XMPP Over BOSH standard, and
a self-made extension of it to realize Jingle protocol.
The project includes a custom ejabberd module in Erlang for the integration of
ejabberd/diaspora databases, an Actionscript part for the video chat stuff and
an external authentication script written in Ruby used by ejabberd to
authenticate users from Diaspora.
The project has been split in two pull requests, and we're currently fixing them
before merge with master repository: [1],  [2].
Source code can be found at https://github.com/vcuculo/diaspora, under "jabber"
and "video_chat" branches.

Setup instructions here. Some screen-shots: [1], [2], [3].

I hope it will be soon merged and improved by me and the community, to make it
available on every Diaspora* pod!

Vittorio

http://blog.ninux.org/2011/08/30/gsoc-2011-videochat-for-diaspora/

(messaggio generato automaticamente)