[Ninux-Calabria] Fwd: [Ninux-Wireless] [blog] Unofficial Ubiquiti AirOS SDK 5.3.3

luigi gigismir at gmail.com
Wed Sep 21 03:26:23 UTC 2011

-------- Messaggio originale --------
Oggetto: [Ninux-Wireless] [blog] Unofficial Ubiquiti AirOS SDK 5.3.3
Data: Wed, 31 Aug 2011 13:20:07 +0000
Mittente: ZioPRoTo <tuscolomesh a gmail.com>
Rispondi-a: ZioPRoTo <zioproto a gmail.com>, wireless a ml.ninux.org
A: zioproto a gmail.com

Nuovo post sul blog (Ninux.org Wireless Community):

'Unofficial Ubiquiti AirOS SDK 5.3.3' di ZioPRoTo

Hello,
This post is for all the people waiting for ubiquiti to release the SDK 5.3.3
for the AirOS Firmware.
At Ninux.org we run a 100+ ubiquiti powered wireless network, which has proved
to be very stable and performing. In our network we use OLSRD and IPv6, so we
normally flash our devices with a version of the Ubiquiti firmware derived from
the SDK.
The last 5.3 SDK of the Ubiquiti firmware was buggy, as we all know. Ubiquiti
promptly released a 5.3.3 firmware to correct the bug but, despite our continuos
efforts and their very same declaration of availability on demand, they ignored
our requests to obtain the 5.3.3 SDK. For it I resolved to create by myself an
unofficial but working 5.3.3 SDK, which is presented in this article.
Of course my hope and interests are that ubiquity will soon come back to the
godwill policy of public avalilability of their official SDK. Up to that (very
welcomed) moment, the Open Source community will make its best efforts to grant
the widest performance of Ubiquitis excellent products.
The SDK for 5.3.3 can be downloaded here: http://goo.gl/An4fk
Now I will describe how I created this unofficial SDK. Of course I assume the
reader is a little familiar with the SDK and the OpenWRT toolchain.
I started from the following 3 files:

GPL.UBNT.v5.3.3.tar.bz2
XM-v5.3.3.build9634.bin (b72c73be64f32d6da57db9e061c3fff1)
SDK.UBNT.v5.3.tar.bz2 (not available anymore on ubnt.com, find it here)

At the byte 943973 of the file XM-v5.3.3.build9634.bin you fill find the header
of the SquashFS root partition of the firmware. So I used the hex editor bless
to cut the binary image and start from the squashfs header.
At this point using the command line tool unsquashfs I was able to have a folder
with the files.
After this step the rest of the work was very easy,
I unpacked the 5.3SDK, and I ported the ubnt-base-files and ubnt-web packages to
the GPL.UBNT.v5.3.3 GPL archive. After porting, I upgraded all the binary files
with the new ones that were inside the SquashFS partition of the firmware image
of 5.3.3
I cleaned up everything and repacked. Make sure with make menuconfig you select
the ubnt-base-files package.
I tested successfully this SDK with NanoStationM5. Feedback on other devices is
highly appreciated, either commenting on this blog or writing an email to
contatti a ninux.org
If you want to know how we use this SDK at Ninux to improve the firmware with
IPv6 and olsrd you can have a look to our wiki.
Saverio

http://zioproto.ninux.org/wordpress/2011/08/31/unofficial-ubiquiti-airos-sdk-5-3-3/

(messaggio generato automaticamente)