[Ninux-day] A law question

Ramon Roca ramon.roca at guifi.net
Sun Jan 10 09:58:35 CET 2010

Good point Mitar,

That's also what I've working this holidays and still, in our case urged
because of the fiber optic deployments ongoing, instead of interop... :(
Yes, I assume that has to be many similarities in all the UE states
because of the EU framework.
Thats a very good point to be considered while running the network: i.e.
in order to be granted for access to public domains, such as streets
etc, you must run a public network, and therefore meet the requirements
for that, and in our case is not optional, we have to unless we do
resign of new generation networks.
Although I assume that every community network has the aim of being
public, legally if that network isn't formally public, is a "private"
network of those who are enjoying it.

Might be differences between states regarding to this, how do you
register, fees/taxes etc. I.e. in spain the registration is free and
then you pay a tax according to your business, similar to VAT, and since
we don't charge fees to the participants in our network, we don't pay
anithing ;). If in Slovenia you pay a fee, that might be a problem
depending on the amount and needs to be reasonable/proportional, because
don't have to be something which blocks new players into competition.

About the other obligation,retain information, etc, also you might have
to look into detail. Do it relaxed, there is a lot of paranoia on that.
Those requirements should be also reasonable, to give you an example
about the information, don't think that we have to store all the
traffic, they ask just for ip addresses leases for a certain amount of
time, something which for us right now is quite easy to meet: We still
do provide static addresses, we do even do publish much more information
than any other comercial operator does...

Also, in order be a considered as a public, thre has to be no doubt that
we do provide connectivity services to the public, i.e. not to just our
friends, and describe how is managed etc, so the "Commons" here becomes
a key piece on that, and those days we were very busy reworking on that,
we have now an almost finished a much more detailed revision (but still
the same), by now only in Catalan.

In short, formally, everyone have to choose between become public or
not. If you don't go public, is private regardless if you feel the
opposite...

Again, for us there is no choice: We have to become public, if not we
might be blocked to deploy NgN, access to the interchange, etc... I
understand that might be other point of views on that, i.e. in Slovenia
if you already have a good FTTH, don't know, maybe is not a priority for
you now, in my opinion if we want to grow as an alternative and develop
new, alternative, fair, sustainable and user friendly networks to keep
the network neutrality etc, there is no doubt that community networks
must be also public networks at all effects.

Ramon.

Al 10/01/10 07:35, En/na Mitar ha escrit: