[Nodeshot] PostgreSQL might be a better choice for Nodeshot

Nemesis nemesis at ninux.org
Wed Dec 5 17:29:04 CET 2012

Hi all,

when we started to refactor the code of nodeshotI would have liked to be
able to support any kind of databasesupported by Django. Now after quite
many months of work I am slowly starting to understand that PostgreSQL
has a few killer functionalities that make perfect sense for us.

The functionalities i'm mostly talking about are 2 in particular:

 1. inet type: support for ip (v4 and v6) address storage, subnet info,
    and mac address

    this DB type makes it possible to check whether an ip+subnet that is
    being entered in the DB doesn't conflict with another ip+subnet in
    the network which is something that can easily happen in a
    decentralized wireless network where usually anybody can choose an IP
    http://www.postgresql.org/docs/9.1/static/datatype-net-types.html

 2. PostGIS: http://postgis.refractions.net/
    this should make it easier to retrieve other nodes in a certain
    distance range from a node from the database, and some other useful
    spatial information.. I don't know if it's really worth it for the
    switch, has anybody else worked with it before?

This would come at the disavantage that anybody that would want to try
nodeshot2 would have to have a PGSQL instance up and running; plus
anybody who uses MySQL would have to switch and convert their DB.

I'm not a big fan of MySQL, as far as i'm concerned for usual low to
medium traffic web applications there's no much differencebetween the two.

I'd like to think if anybody in this list has something interesting to
say about this.

Federico