[Nodeshot] R: Device status

BornAgain bornagain at autoproduzioni.net
Wed Nov 6 14:37:37 CET 2013

nemesis <nemesis at ninux.org> ha scritto:In the refactoring branch, at the moment the available status for
devices are:

  * archived
  * unplugged
  * not_reachable
  * reachable

not reachable and reachable are self explanatory.

not sure about unplugged.

In another application I work on in my daily job, there is the
"unknown" status, which means the system has never reached the device
yet, so the system does not know the device. Which makes sense.

Unplugged is not a type of status that can be automatically determined.

Archived means that a device is no longer active, but is mantained in
the database for some reason.

Archived and unplugged are similar, because the user would have to set
this status manually and the system should avoid trying to contact a
device which is archived or unplugged. So I think we should merge
archived and unplugged, but find a better name, plus introduce the
"unknown" status, which would be the default.

This is my new proposal:

  * unknown: device has not been seen by the system yet
  * not_reachable: device has been seen in the past but is not reachable
now
  * reachable: device is reachable
  * deactivated / unplugged: device has been deactivated manually by the
user

+1
it's ok

Have your say