[Nodeshot] Next Autumn

Nemesis nemesis at ninux.org
Thu Sep 11 10:37:03 CEST 2014

On 09/10/2014 04:05 PM, Gioacchino Mazzurco wrote:
> When do you plan to implement link drawing? The new nodeshot seems
> gorgeous but link drawing is a blocker feature ;)

There are two parts who need to be developed in this regard:

 1. the network topology parser, which I'd like to build into a separate
    python package, agnostic in respect to nodeshot

 2. the UI

I think it's realistic for me to estimate I will be working on this in
the beginning of 2015.
I, alone, can't do it sooner unfortunately.

>> I don't want to release a first stable version too early because
>> iterating while mantaining backward compatibility might be a complicated
>> and time consuming if the code to be compatible with is cumbersome.
> Reasonable ;)
>
> On libremesh we are moving toward a stable release soon, I believe nodeshot
> plugin would come in the next one

Good news.

If I can permit to give a suggestion, I would delay the shipping of new
features or plugins and I would focus first on writing good
documentation and doing extensive testing (and iterative improvement) of
the core, because in my opinion this is what will ultimately encourage
people to use it.