[Nodeshot] Update on UI improvements + question

Nemesis nemesis at ninux.org
Sun Jan 11 18:07:55 CET 2015

*Updates:*

  * documented how to change the first page:
    http://nodeshot.readthedocs.org/en/latest/topics/ui.html#change-the-first-page

  * closed #203: https://github.com/ninuxorg/nodeshot/issues/203

*Other improvements you should notice:*

You can take a look at the automatically updated instances:

  * https://ninux.nodeshot.org/ (might be a bit slower because it's
    hosted inside our network in Rome and the uplink is not as fast as
    the following link, plus the virtualizer is often under high load)

  * https://votaspot.publicwifi.it (this is surely faster but the data
    is not from ninux)

What you should notice:

  * the first page should load much faster

  * all the data fetched from the server is cached in memory for
    subsequent requests, (JS only, no persistence on page reloads yet,
    but will come), so if you go back and forth between pages you
    already loaded previously, the change should be instantaneous

  * map and satellite tiles available by default

  * leaving the mouse on a map object should show a little tooltip to
    hint the name of the node

  * switching between map view and node details and back to map view is
    very smooth

  * you can now search an address from the top bar, you should recognize
    the difference between an address and a node by the icon; the
    geocoding is triggered only if the query contains some special
    strings which are listed here:
    http://nodeshot.readthedocs.org/en/latest/topics/ui.html#nodeshot-ui-address-search-triggers

*Question on **NODESHOT_UI_ADDRESS_SEARCH_TRIGGERS:
*

These are the default special triggers (which can be changed on
settings.py):

  * ','
  * 'st.'
  * ' street'
  * ' square'
  * ' road'
  * 'via '
  * 'viale '
  * 'piazza '
  * 'strada '
  * 'plaza'
  * 'calle '

Note the space in some words, like ' street' has a space at the
beginning which should avoid triggering the geocoding request if you are

Do you think any word is missing? Or anything that could improve? I
encourage you to try this feature and let me know. I think it's a good
usability improvement as many people were getting confused when they did
not find an address by searching on the top bar.

*Next step:
*

I really want to get this done ASAP:
https://github.com/ninuxorg/nodeshot/issues/200

After that's done, and some form of reusable UI generator is
implemented, I'll generate all the main missing features of the UI as
fast as I can, then I'll finally work on links, devices, interfaces and
collection of metrics (statistics).

Federico