[Battlemesh] Solar panel

Benjamin Henrion bh at udev.org
Tue Jun 8 10:35:23 CEST 2010

On Tue, Jun 8, 2010 at 10:26 AM, Xavier Carcelle
<xavier.carcelle at gmail.com> wrote:
> Ciao tutti,
>
> I had a discussion w/ some of you guys concerning the solar panel that
> we could use for others events powering embedded devices.
>
> Axel : We discuss that point and you were mentionning reference of
> Solar Panel that you know ?
>
> What reference do you recommand ?

I had a lengthy discussion with the austrian guy with a beard (Markus
I think) who has changed many voltage regulators on the fonera. He
also played with the Wisp station "changing the voltage regulators" to
go down below 1W.

He said for example that putting the ethernet adaptor to 2.6v works,
while 2.49v does not. Also in 10mbits mode, it consumes much less then
in 100mbits.

The table here says that you can go down to 2.30W just by changing the
bad voltage regulators:

http://wiki.fon.com/wiki/Energy_consumption

I am gonna work with Pascal at HSB on changing those bad voltage
regulators, and make the fonera work on 3.3v:

http://hackerspace.be/Fonera_in_3.3v

Note that the picture of the batteries does not work, you need a
voltage regulator low drop to make it work with 4 batteries of 1.2v.

We should be able to produce stress measurements once we managed to
change the main voltage regulator.

Markus also said that you can change the voltage regulator of the
radio chip below the faraday RF cage, and he made tests to the point
of unsoldering most of the components and trying them out with lower
voltages.

Maybe Markus can say more about that?

--
Benjamin Henrion <bhenrion at ffii.org>
FFII Brussels - +32-484-566109 - +32-2-4148403