[Battlemesh] Battlemesh v5 december meeting minutes/notes/bullets @Berlin

clauz at ninux.org clauz at ninux.org
Sat Dec 31 13:47:09 CET 2011

Here it is. I am sorry if I am misspelling Greek names...

 - Battlemesh 5 will be held in the center of Athens

 - we can use a room at the local university that contains ~100 people
and where we can put some tables for the LAN space. Drawback: probably
we cannot stay there until late night/morning

 - the aproximate fee (to be confirmed) will be of 70-80
euros/participant. Something like 70 euros if you book in advance, 80 if
you book late

 - there is an hotel that can host us at a very good price. It can
contain up to ~60 people, but we are authorized to use sleeping bags
(yes, without being kicked out)

 - to deploy the nodes we can use the rooftops [are there sockets on the
roofs?] and the inside of the university buildings and also ask people
around the place if we can use the sockets in their houses (Greeks are
very hospital and open-minded, especially in that area)

 - for eating: in the surroundings there are plenty of places, however
we can arrange something for the lunchs with the university's facilities
or with a place that is popular among students (and very cheap). Some
arrangements where attempted to order pizza for every participant, but
no pizzeria is willing to make a discount

 - for drinking: there is the university cafeteria, where we can find
coffee at a good price

 - we might have a social event (i.e. lamb) at the hackerspace, which is
about 30 minutes away by bus

 - there is a group of 6-8 villages, including Sarantaporo, in
Tessaloniki, 4-6 hours by bus from Athens, that have invited us to visit
them for the time of a weekend (they are busy working the rest of the
week). They have a ~100 nodes, ~400 users mesh network deployed and they
invited us also to use their infrastructure for the battle. As we don't
have the time to prepare and perform a battle there in less than a
weekend, the proposal is to extend the battlemesh timespan from the 24th
of March to the 1st of April, i.e. including another weekend at the
beginning, to visit Sarantaporo, exchange ideas and know-how, eat lamb,
and then begin the actual battlemesh in Athens from the 26th of March.
The visit to these villages should cost ~20 euros for the whole weekend
(essentialy the cost of the bus, as we can stay at people's houses)

 - deadline to prepare the announcement: January 7, 2012. After that the
Greek organizers will be busy with university stuff

 - things to put in the announcement:
   * fee (we need to know exactly how much will the hotel charge)
   * dates: 24/03 -> 01/04 including visit to the villages or 26/03 -> 01/04
   * price for the weekend at Sarantaporo
   * location of the hotel
   * account for the money transfers (we can ask ELAC, which is an
organization that organized some open source related events - such as
Mozilla stuff - in Athens)
   * transportation

 - we might have some sponsors: red bull, pc engines

 - it would be good to record the talks during the event, and also to
have maps of the buildings and of the surroundings

 - we need to understand if we can deploy an open access point for
Internet access, or if we need some password or whatever to access the
university network

 - having a closing party somewhere in the last weekend would be great

 - for what concerns the foneras, they are somewhere between Brussels
and Paris. As it seems that nobody is driving to Athens, they should be
shipped ~two weeks in advance to Greece

 - we need a protocol-neutral testing team to design and perform the
tests for the battle

If you want to add and correct please feel free to do so.

Thanks to everybody for the great job, and especially to Nefeli and the
other Greek folks for hosting us!

ciao,
Clauz

P.S. I don't think that all the people involved in Battlemesh v5 are in
this mailing list, please tell them that they can subscribe by filling
this form: