[Battlemesh] Help needed presenting our mesh based app @ Battlemesh

jeetu.golani at gmail.com jeetu.golani at gmail.com
Mon Mar 7 14:40:52 CET 2011

Hi,

> What I am saying is that it is probably not much useful to run it on
> routers as they have very low processing power.

Mitar, you are right. There would be changes needed in our
current implementation to support low powered routers.

Our current implementation is in a multipoint-to- multipoint mesh
network with every host is in ad-hoc mode with olsr, our plugin and the client.

To facilitate a scenario where low powered routers mesh with each
other and other devices like laptops then connect to these routers
in managed mode. The routers would only need olsr and a modified plugin that
passes information to the eBrainPool client on each host informing it
of all the other hosts (their IPs) in the mesh. From there on things would
work as now. Each host would communicate with the others and get the
software list from them and using SSH with X forwarding a tunnel could
be formed to launch an application.

> But if you want, first step would be to prepare OpenWrt package. Then it
> is easier installed onto OpenWrt-based routers.

Good idea :)

This is where our inexperience with how mesh networks are currently implemented
comes in :) Do you envision a scenario and requirement such as
what I have described above?

If this kind of a design makes better sense to people here then I'd
definitely like to give
this a shot. Unfortunately as I said earlier mesh is an area where we
are definitely noobs :)
If so I don't think it would be too tough making the changes and
making our system
work in this environment. Of course as in our current ad-hoc mode devices
implementation we would need testers ;) definitely could use help testing what
we currently have since we have no idea how it performs with a decent
number of devices
in ad-hoc mode, would be great if we had testers of this ;)

>> Android doesn't support ad-hoc by default you need to root your phone
>> and install a patched version of android

Gioacchino, I saw the link with the modified wpa_supplicant that
allows ad-hoc mode.
I definitely hope Google has ad-hoc working on Android natively soon.

Our biggest concern for Android though is the fact that since android doesn't
use X Window. We will need to have some means where an android application
that needs to be used remotely somehow transparently translates it's
display calls to
X. We have some theories on how this can be achieved though there's so much
of other stuff to do before we can focus on this :)

Meego will be easier since it uses X Window. To test the efficacy of
eBrainPool on
Meego I ran a few tests remote using software from my laptop on my N900 with
Maemo :)...I ran Xeyes, Gedit and Anjuta on my laptop and used them on my N900
and I was definitely happy with the initial results. The applications
could of course
be better integrated with the overall Maemo framework but I feel confident that
with some work we can achieve this :)

Bye for now