[Battlemesh] Help needed presenting our mesh based app @ Battlemesh

jeetu.golani at gmail.com jeetu.golani at gmail.com
Mon Mar 7 18:20:13 CET 2011

Hi :),

> Don't you think that you are complicating too much?
>
> Why wouldn't you use network as a network, as a abstracted layer which
> enabled your clients to communicate. And then on top of that you build
> client discovery (with multicast or something)? So that it can run on
> any network, LAN, AP, mesh (with support for multicast)?

> Unfortunately as I said earlier mesh is an area where we are
> definitely noobs :)

> You should develop applications which should not and do not need to be
> aware of what kind of a network they run on.

This is a very valid point. The olsr plugin providing the IPs to the client
turned out to be a quick fix and allowed us to get to this point however
we have realized that we are now too tied up to this specific configuration.
Therefore for e.g. even on a traditional wired network  at the moment
we need olsr/plugin/etc etc running on each host to get this to work.

I agree, very bad design even though it has given us proof of concept :)

Is there code anyone here can point us to that allows clients to discover others
using multicast? Any other resources you can point us to that you think
would be pertinent (of course pitching into our code directly too would be
great ;) )

This would be excellent....to isolate our application as completely
network/protocol
neutral would be great....and yes from what I understand multicast could help -
though I'll need to understand this better

Thanks so much :) (please keep the great ideas coming...appreciate it sincerely)

Bye for now