[Battlemesh] Mounting gear

Ryan Hughes ryan at iheartryan.com
Tue Mar 22 22:11:26 CET 2011

Hey.  Here's some questions I forgot to ask people at the conference.  If
someone would please offer up some of that sagely wisdom, I can put it on
that wiki page I started that's a guide to starting up a mesh network.

My questions are related to the physical mounting of point-to-point links,
such as the Nanostation.

Those things seem to be designed for mounting on poles of a standard size.
What sort of mounting poles are these?  What kinds of sources can you get
them from?  Do you get gear that's - like - articulated, so you can change
how the antenna is aimed?

Also, re getting power and data to the point-to-point links:  You use an
outdoor power outlet and a POE device that is weatherproof?  What about
getting data into the device?  You drill a hole in the wall of the
building and run a cable up to it?  Special weatherproof cables are
required?  Conduit?

Or do you use a separate, omnidirectional machine that communicates
wirelessly with the machines indoors?

I don't know much about the physical world.  It scares me.

--Ryan