[Battlemesh] med-mesh, a proposal to obtain funding from the EU

Albert Homs i Gall alberthoms at gmail.com
Sun Feb 5 23:12:27 CET 2012

Thanks for the reply

2012/2/4 Mitar <mitar at tnode.com>

> Hi!
>
> >    - Firmware based, preconfigured image or manually configured: Freifunk
> >    wiki [3], freifunkfirmware generator [4] or wlan-slovenia can be
> examples
> >    of that [5]
> >    - Firmware based, autoconfigurable. Quick mesh project [6] and its
> >    precedessor graciasensefils [7]
> >    - Config file based. This is the guifi.net unsolclic stuff inside its
> >    drupal module[8]
>
> I would add that our nodewatcher can generate both config file or
> firmware. ;-)

cool

> > Since there are out there several web applications (nodewatcher
> > from wlan-slovenia [9], wind from awmn [10], the drupal module from guifi
> > [8], something else?) I don't see the need of building a new one,
> although
> > a some-kind of fusion would be great (maybe a developers meeting can be
> > funded through this grant).
>
> My long lasting position on this is that we should think about a modular
> approach to this. So that we have a system where communities can
> configure which modules they want and suit their network the best. In
> the similar way Trac:
>
> http://trac.edgewall.org/
>
> Has a bunch of plugins you can configure your open source project
> development to your needs:
>
> http://trac-hacks.org/
>
> Similar could/should be (in my opinion) done for open networks development.
>
> In this way we would build upon a common platform, while still support
> and account for our differences.

I agree, but which platform, guifi.net is drupal based, nodewather django
based...?? this can end as debian vs fedora war :P

> > Each of the tools mentioned has its features, and depending on the
> > network's focus one or another fits better. Maybe a
> > comparison/documentation can be done trough the project to let the
> > new community choose the best for them
>
> We have started something about this here:
>
> http://interop.wlan-si.net/
>
> (Just to give some links, of course inside the this project we could do
> much much more.)
>
> > 4-. Interoperability standards/info/protocols
> > Confine project [15] (an EU funded research project in which AWMN,
> > funkfeuer and guifi.net are involved) is working on this and this
> project
> > would be a real application of the tools they develop. For the experience
> > trying to interconnect existing networks this can be a real issue
>
> In our discussion with FunkFeuer Graz and Croatian network with whom we
> are in process of establishing inter-country/inter-network wireless
> links we have found that there are not yet any proven technology for
> peering over wireless links. BGP again does not count in the wireless
> links quality. So if there exist multiple wireless links between
> networks, how can we peer efficiently and adapting to link quality
> changes, drops and so on?

By now, no link is still working, and I think it will be very long until we
have more than one link between our communities (I don't say it's not
important, it is, but it cames after the link is feasible...)