[Battlemesh] Mesh Networking could save lives. Help Needed!

Man in the Middle MANitMIDDLE at skanes.ca
Fri Feb 10 08:42:50 CET 2012

It looks like I just stumbled on the community I was looking for.

We all know what happens when unhappy citizens try to stand up against their
tyrannical regimes. A worst case is playing out in Syria, as we speak.

One of the first thing to disappear when this happens is free and open
communication.  I am convinced something can be done to empower such citizens
by enabling them to maintain their own robust and secure networks.  It should
also be possible to enable back-links to the global Internet, for example,
routers near borders of the rogue nation with the help of more free and
friendly neighbours.

Here is a little more I wrote about it, elsewhere:

Often in despicable military conflicts when states turn against their own
citizens, communication infrastructure is very likely to be monitored and/or
shut down. Monitoring of citizens can lead to arrest, torture, and death. The
complete shutdown of communications such as the Internet and cell phone
service may allow a regime to persecute its citizens secretly.

Though there may be many active and willing citizen journalists risking there
own lives to capture abuses of tyranny, it is usually quite difficult for the
stories to make their way to borders where the rest of the world can aid the
suffering of the persecuted.

Over the last few days, I have been wondering how citizens could maintain
their own communications infrastructure in the even their own state is
actively suppressing free and open communications.

I have quite broad knowledge of computer communication and cryptography.
Unfortunately, I don't have the depth of knowledge required to expertly use
specific specialized technologies. I can see the path, however, due to the
serious consequences individuals, using such a technology, face from their own
governments, I don't dare to assume I could produce a system with the rugged
security to withstand well funded attacks a regime might use to manipulate
such a system.

The system is doable. What this effort needs is people willing to donate some
time and skill. Engineers and developers with great skill in designing secure
network communications will be desperately needed. People to spread the word
to enlist engineers and developers are needed. Testers will be needed.
Providers of test hardware will be needed.

If this project becomes successful, we will vastly improve the movement of
truth everywhere there may be conflict. This would likely SAVE LIVES!

I am not doing this to make money. I truly believe EVERY person has the right
to both tell and hear the truth.

Here is the blog post in which I started to muse about the possibilities:
http://manitmiddle.blogspot.com/2012/02/designing-technology-for-freedom-
could.html

Thank you all so much.  I hope to hear from those of you willing to help!

MANitMIDDLE

--
MANitMIDDLE
St. John's, NL