[Battlemesh] Registration period extended until 11/03/2012

Ryan Hughes ryan at iheartryan.com
Tue Mar 6 23:12:40 CET 2012

> I'm interested in knowing more about bitcoin, I hope to meet someone who will help me
> to get the mining to work at battlemesh :-)

Yeah, d00d.  I'll help people learn about bitcoins, yo.  I can give an
informal talk about it.  (I'd give a formal talk, but I don't know enough
about it to really make a good talk).

But don't get excited about mining.  Word on the street (and by "street",
I mean #bitcoin on freenode) is that it's gotten to the point where you
won't make significant money mining even if you have a purpose-built box
full of GPUs.  The cool kids these days are mining with FPGAs!  And they
said that it's always "just about worth it".  If you invest huge amounts
of money in making a fantabulous machine, you'll just about break even.

Also, people sometimes look at the exchange rates and think the point of
bitcoin is currency speculation.

But really, the purpose of it is to do financial transactions through the
internet -- and across national borders -- in a peer-to-peer fashion,
without having to rely on a central authority.

Anyway, I'd be glad to talk about it.

--Ryan