[Battlemesh] dBm values > colours

Federico Capoano federico at nemesisdesign.net
Wed Mar 7 22:18:14 CET 2012

Il 07/03/2012 20.19, Jo-Philipp Wich ha scritto:
> the Kernel uses RSSI values between -110 and -40 to calculate its
> "signal quality", the formula is simple:
>
>  quality = min(max(rssi, -110), -40) + 110
>
> That gives 70 quality levels, divided by your three color choices gives
> ca. 23 dB spans, so it would result in:
>
> -110 .. -87  -> red
> -86  .. -64  -> orange
> -63  .. -41  -> green

Thanks jow!

> Whether this kind of quality indicator actually makes sense is
> debatable, but thats one way to do it.

Yea it's quite debatable. At the moment our values are quite not right
http://map.ninux.org (click on dBm on the right column). We'd like to
have values that are more useful in order to have a quick overview of
the network.

Maybe... could that range be restricted?

I guess a link that is worse than -90 does not have much sense. I don't
know if there is a very noticeable difference in performance between a
-50 and a -40 link, anyway, links with those values happen rarely in our
network, only if two nodes are very very near. I checked now (Info tab
in upper right corner) and we have only about 10 links in that range of
dBm values out of 132.

The reason for which I ask you guys is because I'd like to hear opinions
and experiences from other wireless communities ^_^

*Federico Capoano*
Web Designer & Web Developer
Portfolio/Blog: nemesisdesign.net <http://nemesisdesign.net>
Twitter: @nemesisdesign <http://twitter.com/nemesisdesign/>