[Battlemesh] [B.A.T.M.A.N.] Battlemesh v5 tests

Gabriel Kerneis kerneis at pps.jussieu.fr
Fri Mar 9 13:57:41 CET 2012

Antonio,

On Fri, Mar 09, 2012 at 01:39:06PM +0100, Antonio Quartulli wrote:
> > Does that mean that it is impossible to announce a route on some interfaces
> > only?  It looks like a rather arbitrary limitation.
>
> OGMs are broadcasted over all the interfaces (there may be some neighs reachable
> only by one interface) and you can't force an OGM to be broadcasted only over
> one of them. I hope I correctly got your question.

My question is about some kind of policy routing (setup by the administrator,
not guessed by batman).

Consider the following topology:

       l0     l1
    A ---- B ==== C
              l2

where --- is a single link (l0) and === are two links (l1 and l2).

Now imagine that the administator wants to dedicate the link l2 to the
communication between B and C, for whatever reason.  It is fairly easy to set
netfilter rules to that effect, for instance.

1) Is it possible for the administrator of B to configure batman so that it
   announces a route to A only over l1, and not l2?  Such that C will only ever
   send packets for A over l1, and B never replies on l2 either.

2) If that is possible, what is the mechanism in the alternating algorithm which
   prevents batman from sending packets from A to C over l2 (assuming TQ1 < TQ2)?
   It looks like both l1 and l2 will end up as bonding alternates for C.

Best,
--
Gabriel