[Battlemesh] [B.A.T.M.A.N.] Diversity in BATMAN

ryan at iheartryan.com ryan at iheartryan.com
Tue Mar 13 11:50:28 CET 2012

> However, in my personal case, there's also the fact that WBM has been
> evolving in a direction that I don't feel comfortable with (less
> technical content, more self- promotion, tolerance for bomb-makers,
> etc.)

Last year, the event was just what I needed.  I got plenty of practical
advice on running a network.  However, I think that a lot of the good
stuff I got was by picking people's brains outside of an official event.
Maybe that's sort of the way it had to be, because I was the only person
coming there with zero experience on mesh networking.  Or at least, there
wasn't a critical mass of me's for it to make sense to have a "Community
Mesh Networking For Dummies" class.

I think, also, there was some "required reading" that I had to do before I
could understand some of the discussion.  Nobody was going to describe the
protocols from scratch, so I had to read the specs in order to understand
the improvements that people described.

But I do benefit every time y'all protocol developers disagree, because I
see not just HOW each protocol works, but WHY it works that way.

As I see it, there's two types of things I'm interested in hearing:
1. Community network operators disagreeing about practical approaches to
    setting up a network.  Physically, topologically, socially, and
    technologically.

2. Protocol developers disagreeing about the practical and academic merits
    of their protocols.  Then I see everybody's reasoning for doing what
    they do.

I guess I don't have any opinions that are actionable.  I thought if I
babbled long enough, I'd come up with some.  That did not come to pass.
I'm still going to hit "Send" instead of "Cancel", though, because I
apparently do not value your time?

--Ryan