[Battlemesh] Encryption on ad-hoc mode

Antonio Quartulli ordex at autistici.org
Fri Oct 26 13:05:40 CEST 2012

Hello people,

On Fri, Oct 26, 2012 at 03:28:15AM -0700, Mitar wrote:
> Hi!
>
> >  * IBSS-RSN is quite a new feature to build encryption between
> >    individual Ad-Hoc peers. This feature has been more recently
> >    introduced to mac80211 and should (I think) be available on
> >    OpenWRT as well. Antonio has worked on this and contributed
> >    quite a few patches. :)
>
> If I understand correctly, RSN == WPA2? So yes, WPA2 has per-session
> keys and this quite improve security.

True, it's WPA2 in IBSS mode and it is standard (you can find its description in
the 802.11).

Right now, using OpenWRT and one of the ibss/rsn enabled drivers (like ath9k,
ath5k, iwlwifi and others..), it should work out of the box[tm].

As RSN, it establishes a PTK for each pair of nodes in the Ad-Hoc cell and a GTK
for the broadcast communications.

The only drawback at the moment is that broadcast packets are encrypted in sw
(so reducing broadcast throughput a bit), but I don't think this is a real
problem.

Cheers,

--
Antonio Quartulli