[Battlemesh] WBMv6 - Hardware / Sponsoring

Simon Wunderlich simon.wunderlich at s2003.tu-chemnitz.de
Fri Oct 26 14:01:29 CEST 2012

Hello Huub,

On Fri, Oct 26, 2012 at 12:01:34PM +0200, Huub Schuurmans wrote:
> Op 10/26/12 10:55 AM, Simon Wunderlich schreef:
> > Hello Huub,
> >
> > On Thu, Oct 25, 2012 at 10:36:44PM +0200, Huub Schuurmans wrote:
> >> Op 10/25/12 8:52 PM, Bastian Bittorf schreef:
> >
> > If you provide Alix hardware for the tests, we could also do tests
> > on them. However, purchasing a lot of ALIX boards (plus WiFi cards,
> > housings, antennas) would be pretty expensive (we need a few of
> > them, like 20-40 I think). Only getting them for WBM is not really
> > feasible I think. It would be nice to do all the tests on the same
> > hardware.
>
> Alixboard with case, mini-pci card (e.g. CM9), pigtail, ducky antenna,
> cf-card would be about Euro 130 (ex VAT)
> In the Netherlands the Buffalo WZR-HP-AG300H costs about Euro 90, ex VAT.

The point is that Bastian can/will use the routers for his own
purposes after the battle, so these are not expenses we have only
for the battlemesh. I don't know if this would be the case too if
we got ALIX boards. Or would you like to sponsor/bring ALIX boards
to the event yourself?

> I am not familiar with the Buffalo router and I have no idea about the
> details of the hardware setup. Would it be possible to test routing in
> a multichannel multiradio mesh with different type and quality of links?

it appears that you can use 2,4 GHz and 5 GHz at the same time, so
multichannel routing is possible, yes. :)

> > would it be possible to port lvrouted to linux?
>
> My understanding: in principle yes, need to port ioctl()s and
> cross-compile. Code is written in ocaml.
>
> Description is available here:
> http://svn.wirelessleiden.nl/svn/node-config/other/lvrouted/trunk/README
> and source code is in:
> http://svn.wirelessleiden.nl/svn/node-config/other/lvrouted/trunk/src/

OK, sounds doable in theory. However I don't know if there is any
OCAML support for OpenWRT.

Cheers,
	Simon