[Battlemesh] WBMv6 - Hardware / Sponsoring

Simon Wunderlich simon.wunderlich at s2003.tu-chemnitz.de
Sat Oct 27 22:42:02 CEST 2012

On Sat, Oct 27, 2012 at 01:36:11PM +0200, Huub Schuurmans wrote:
> Op 10/26/12 10:55 AM, Simon Wunderlich schreef:
> >
> > If you provide Alix hardware for the tests, we could also do tests
> > on them. However, purchasing a lot of ALIX boards (plus WiFi cards,
> > housings, antennas) would be pretty expensive (we need a few of
> > them, like 20-40 I think). Only getting them for WBM is not really
> > feasible I think. It would be nice to do all the tests on the same
> > hardware.
>

> I am not sure whether we could provide 20-40 Alix boards, but we do
> have some 30 Soekris boards available (mostly 4521, some 4801 and
> 4826). With sufficient Senao 2511CD PLUS EXT2 pcmcia cards and
> NL-2511MP PLUS minipci.
>
> http://soekris.com/products/net4521.html
> http://soekris.com/products/net4801.html
> http://soekris.com/products/net4826.html
> http://preview.tinyurl.com/94doo7s
> http://www.air-stream.org.au/equipment/senao-nl-2511mp-plus-802-11b-200mw-mini-pci
>
> This is rather old hardware.
> Could these be of any use?

Wow, that is really 802.11b only hardware with 11 Mbit/s maximum ...

Haven't seen something like this for quite some time :)

But I'm afraid this kind of hardware will give some other protocols a hard time.
We have 802.11s which relies on modern kernels, as well as batman-adv does. Also
802.11s is tied to mac80211, and I don't know if it supports this old hardware -
and what practical relevance this would have, as everyone is using 300 Mbit/s
802.11n capable routers ...

Cheers,
	Simon