[Battlemesh] WBMv6 - Hardware / Sponsoring

Simon Wunderlich simon.wunderlich at s2003.tu-chemnitz.de
Mon Oct 29 15:57:17 CET 2012

Hey Aaron, Pau,

On Mon, Oct 29, 2012 at 08:51:50AM +0100, L. Aaron Kaplan wrote:
> > I don't know which is the exact idea of Aaron (he will clarify it). But I
> > think Confine project can provide some devices (probably Alix boards) for
> > the testbeds, as far I know it should not be a problem.
> ok, I did not have this in mind - but why not :)
>
> > We can also join the Confine testbed with the WBM testbed through VPN link.
> > If there is an OpenWRT image ready, it is very easy to deploy by the
> > Confine testbed (just a few commands).
> >
> That's exactly what I had in mind!
>
> The benefit for CONFINE would be that the WBM test-drives our federated CONFINE testbeds and our server deployment software
> and the benefit for WBM would be to have a larger real-world testbed with better hardware than Foneras and Linksyses.
> In fact, since the openwrt image that Pau mentioned has LXC and thus some sort of virtualization, we can run multiple routing protocols and tests in parallel (to some extent).
>
> win-win.
>
> > Another point would be to used Confine firmware for the WBM devices. It is
> > and OpenWRT with LXC support and a set of scripts to easy create containers
> > with an existing image.
> And that seems like another good idea :) - but I did not have this in mind :)

A permament testbed is a really nice idea, and it is a good idea to try it out -
however, it should not be used to replace the local hands-on tests we do in the
wireless battle mesh, in my opionion. We might find wifi driver bugs, upgrade the
drivers, change positions of nodes to get better connection, reboot them, building
some wired backbone ... things we can't do so easily in a remote testbed.

Maybe we can have some workshop to get to know how the confine testbed work? I'd see
this a parallel event to the testing with the local APs.

Also, is it now possible to use kernel-based meshing stuff like 802.11s or batman-adv
with the confine firmware?

Cheers,
	Simon