[Battlemesh] Confine Open Call for participation: experiments and extension

Leandro Navarro leandro at pangea.org
Thu Sep 12 11:59:32 CEST 2013

On 9/12/13 1:37 AM, Isaac Wilder wrote:
> Tried to looks in the docs and couldn't quickly find out whether this is open to
> groups outside of the EU?
Yes, There's this in the FAQ (http://confine-project.eu/faq-open-call-2/)

*11. Can I participate from country X?* The short answer is ‘yes’.
Organisations and researchers from more than 100 countries all over the
world are already involved in EU research programmes.

Clearly so for organisations from EU countries, also for International
Cooperation Partner Countries
<ftp://ftp.cordis.europa.eu/pub/fp7/docs/icpc-list.pdf>. Organisations
from high-income countries (in particular the United States of America,
Canada, Japan, the Republic of Korea, Singapore, Australia, New
Zealand, Taiwan, Hong Kong, Macao, Vatican, San Marino, Monaco and
Andorra) can also participate and receive funding subject to
negotiation. Our impression is that participation of non-profit
organisations selected for his unique contribution can be duly
justified. All the details here
<http://cordis.europa.eu/fp7/public_en.html?Public=Outside+the+EU>.

> It says that groups must be qualified to participate in EC FP7, but I'm not
> sure what that means.
My impression is that a for-profit organisation from rich countries like
the USA may not get funding from the EC, but not-for-profit orgs it can
be possible. However we don't have a generic rule as each case should be
discussed with the EC. For instance I heard about USA universities being
funded (kind of not-for-profit).

Best regards, Leandro.